Saturday, December 23, 2006

We're Here! (con't again)...

Sorry about that...had to pay more money to someone who can't understand a word I said, for some amout of time that I can't understand! Welcome to the other side of the planet.

Where was I...?
Oh yeah... the Smog!
Not bad in the AM, but got progressively worse throughout the morning. Hi-rises visible earlier in the day faded as the day wore on. I felt like I had to cough, but didn't because the sensation was bothersome but not strong enough to force a cough. I'ts actually a l ot like the air in here right now!

We stopped for lunch at a Restaurant/Choissel (sp?) gift shop. (We picked up a neat gift for Kyle.) Lunch was Lisa's first tangle with authentic Chinese food. Well mostly authentic, except for the French Fries. She did well and scratched together enough stuff for a meal. We'd need the enery for the Great Wall was our next stop.

(As I look around the net bar, I'd like to up my estimate to 200+ as I didn't see the other rooms! Lots of young people really into their games...Communist Schmomunist!)

Kathy gave us a really interesting briefing on the way to our visit to the Great Wall. Truly a wonder of the world. Many in our travel group braved the difficult side of the wall near our tour spot (this a very steep climb, with uneven footing, steps of varying heights, and no landings between the guard towers at which to rest.) Not for the faint of heart. Got more great pictures here as well - almost burned through our 3rd battery.

I'll be signing off now, since tomorrow is GotchaDay for Kyle and all the rest of the children for our group. I think I know what to expect. Who am I kidding - we'll be winging it!!!

Our flight was moved up so we had to pack and store our checked luggage by 8:30PM. So we'll all be equally stale tomorrow morning at 6:20 AM when we need to be on board the bus for the airport. We fly Bejing to Nanchang in the morning and then we head to the Civil Affairs office for the Gotchas.

Nervous? Sure we are.
Ready? Never been more ready for anything in our lives.

(In case we don't have a chance to post...As tomorrow is Christmas Eve, we wish all of you following along at home a very Merry Christmas. We miss you and can't wait to make our next post - hopefully with Pictures.)

Good night - I mean, good morning.
C

2 comments:

noel wedder said...

Hi Charlie & Lisa:
A very informative post. Thank you. I am glad to hear that Lisa is trying her best to eat the food and not wasting away on jam and crackers (laughing) I thinnk it safe to say you are the only members of the family to have ever been to the Great Wall, one of the great treasures of the world. Luke has been informed there will be another Prince joining the family circle and is anxious to show him all the ropes. He has begun to walk, but only for his cute, young babysitter. (he learns fast) We look forward to any and all accounts you can send off. In the meantime, much love Poppa

Avery said...

Hi Aunt Lisa & Uncle Charlie! Merry Christmas! I'm sorry that you won't be here for Christmas.Hey Aunt Lisa, trying to eat the food huh? Oh I almost forgot,you better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout I'm telling you why: Luke & Kyle will be sumo-wrestling when you get home. Scary right? Have a awsome time in China!!! P.S.Well talk to you tomorrow. Love, Paityn