Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Wonderful Event!!!

Hi again everyone,

We're coming off a great weekend! Kyle's doing really well and continues to make great progress.

He's learning that he can make different noises and sounds...sometimes however, at inopportune times!!

Kyle's getting stronger every day and is getting more adventurous with his attempts at walking on his own. But it always seems that the last 2 steps into our arms is more of a controlled fall!

The wonderful event that I mentioned earlier was a GREAT party thrown by the families in our neighborhood as a "Welcome Home Party" for Kyle (and us). It was Sunday at 2PM and we'll never forget it.

Lisa, Kyle and I would like to thank everyone who came to welcome us home, and to thank everyone for their very generous gifts! We'd especially like to thank the Pughs for opening their home to us and to everyone. And thanks also to Katie Duffy for all of her work in helping pull it off. The food was great, and the Cake is STILL really good - there's a piece or 2 left on our kitchen counter - which I'll try to polish off later tonight.

Instead of boring everyone with our endless stream of photos, we decided to make a short video montage of some of our most favorite pictures (with a really cute background song). We showed it at the party and I think it went pretty well. The photos follow our progress before, during and after we got the gift of Kyle! (I just wish that I could somehow let everyone else see it - you will NOT see it on YouTube!!)

As I said at the party, after 7 years in Hidden Creek, we truly think of our neighbors as our extended family. We are grateful for having had the chance to get to know all of you and to watch our families grow up together. We thank you for this gift.

When creating entries for this blog while we were in China, we felt a special need to let everyone know what was going on. But, because I knew so many people would be reading along, it was important that the words were not "just the facts" - day, times, activities, etc. The typical prep for blogging went like this:

Lisa: "I'm exhausted, let's get some sleep."


Charlie: "Great idea. Kyle's out like a light. But, we should probably post something. What did we do today anyway...it's a bit of a blur?"

Lisa would then use hotel stationery to list out a page of bullet points for me to use as reference. We'd laugh at all of the great stuff that had happenend that day, and I'd be on my way to the Hotel Business Center or a Net Bar/Cafe to upload.

As I read through Lisa's notes, the day usually came back to me very clearly. As I wrote, I tried to give you all a sense of not just what was happening, but how it affected us; how we felt about things, good and bad... With every word, there was an overwhelming feeling that in a few hours, everyone at home would be reading along - the pressure was actually a great motivator!

Anyway, here are a few pictures from the party:


















Thanks again to everyone!
Good evening...
C

1 comment:

The Pokols said...

What a cutie!
Kyle isn't bad looking either!
We just signed in & looked at everything - you'll have lots of great memories, especially since you had to work so hard to get him.
Charlie, I should have known that it would take you less than a week to get a picture of him in your big old clown shoes! We were thinking of getting him something to wear, but Teri commented that he already has a better wardrobe than I do. So instead of us sending you a gift, maybe you could send me a little something(perhaps the authentic shiny red outfit in a 42 regular).

On a more serious note (Teri said I should say something nice!) you two are doing a wonderful thing, and I have to believe you will be rewarded w/ many years of great times because of it!

Cliff & Teri

PS - bring Kyle to the ski weekend. Just when he is finally getting aclimated to everything, we'll fawn all over him and get him out of wack for you.